Thursday, March 11, 2010

Birthday Treats



Remember having to put your head down on your desk in elementary school then someone had a birthday?  Remember the suckers, Jolly Rancher sticks, and bags of m&m's you would get?  Well this past Monday, Lucas and Austin celebrated their 6th birthday.  And these days the kids give up cupcakes in ice cream cones or a bag full of goodies and I really didn't want to do either.  But I had to come up with something BIG seeing how I had two kids that needed treats and I didn't want to do two treats.  So this is what I came up with...one huge 3 in1 bear cookie, yes that's right 3 cookies stacked on top of each other to create this adorable cookie.


I have made lots of cut out cookies in the past years, decorating them is kind of a stress reliever for me, yes I know that's strange.  But I have fun doing this and Mike is really good at keeping the boys away from me while I'm being creative.  


Like many other cookie recipes, I have tried tons of different roll out cookie recipes.  I really like my MIL's recipe when I leave the dough pretty thick and unbake them just a bit. I also came across I just love and that's the recipe I would like to share with you today.


Soft Sugar Cookies


what you need
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
make it
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Bear in the egg, vanilla, and sour cream until well blended. Stir in the sifted ingredients. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out in 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes
I find that if I roll them a little thick and do not overbake, they are the best and stay moist

No comments:

Post a Comment