Sunday, January 17, 2010

Stromboli


When Mike and I were engaged to be married, Mike's mom made a recipe book for me of all the recips she liked to make that Mike would eat.  This is one of them....Stromboli.


Now I do spend the extra time to make the bread dough in my bread machine, but you could also bu the frozen dough loaves at the store, thaw it and let it raise.  I believe you will get the same results.  


After the dough is ready, I sprinkle some flour on the countertop, so the dough doesn't stick to it.  Then start rolling.



and keep rolling until you have a nicely shaped rectangle, about 10" x 15"



Once the dough is rolled out, then you need to grab 2 eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, pepper and olive oil.  Mix these together according to the recipe and spread the mixture on the rolled dough.  I find it's easiest to get my fingers dirty and spread it out with them.



Add  provolone cheese slices over the egg mixture,



and what ever other topping you like...my family prefers just pepperoni and ham,



and more cheese.



Roll up the dough, making sure you seal the seams.  Place seam down on greased baking sheet. 
Brush with egg whites.



Before you know it, the house will be smelling so good and your kids will be excited for dinner

Plate and Serve!!!  
YUM!!!!





STROMBOLI

what you need
  • 1 loaf of bread dough
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 TBSP Parmesan cheese
  • 1 TBSP Parsley
  • 1/2 tsp Oregano
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 2 TBSP Olice Oil
  • 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
  • 6 slices Provolone cheese
  • choice of toppings: pepperoni, mushrooms, ham, green peppers, onion, cooked sausage, pineapple
make it
Roll dough into 10"x15" rectangle.
Mix egg yolks(keep the egg whites), parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, pepper and oil. Spread mixture over dough. Put provolone cheese on egg mixture. Add other toppings. Add mozzarella cheese. Roll long way, tucking ends in as you roll. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Brush with egg whites. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Notes
Instead of provolone cheese, you can add 1 extra cup of mozzarella cheese.





2 comments:

  1. Okay, can I just say YUM!! I love the simplicity of this and have done a variation like this, but I will have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very easy and I need easy. My son loves these so I am going to try and surprise him.

    ReplyDelete