Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cooler Days = Soup Days

With the temperatures getting colder the last couple weeks I've been having a jonesing for some soup.  I cam across with this recipe in a magazine at my local grocery store.  And seeing how I'm too cheap to buy the magazine just for a soup recipe, I quickly pulled on my smartphone and snapped a picture of the recipe, grabbed a few ingredients I didn't have and headed home to make it.  It's really good and very filling.
sorry about the soup all over the bowl...note to self;  put into a different for picture next time.

In the magazine they had in labeled as a Fat Flush Soup,  I hoping that's a good thing that maybe it will help me get back on track with losing some more weight, but that's a topic for other day.  The serving size is very generous I think...it's 2 full cups.  Only once have I been able to eat that much at one sitting.  I usually have a cup and that fills me up.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

 1 medium onion(s)   
2 clove(s) garlic clove(s) (medium)   
 1 item(s) bell pepper(s) (medium)   
1/4 cup(s) parsley   
4 tsp olive oil   
 16 oz mushroom(s)   
64 oz Campbell's Low-Sodium Tomato Juice   
 2 1/2 pound(s) Jennie-O Turkey Store Extra lean ground breast   
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice   
2 Tbsp ground cumin   
 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes   
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes   
7 serving(s) Bush's great northern beans, drained and rinsed   

Instructions

1.  In a stockpot, heat 2tsp of olive oil over medium-high setting.  Saute meat until cooked through.  Drain and set aside.  
2.  Saute onion, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms in other 2 tsp of olive oil until soft.
3.  Stir in remaining ingredients, except the parsley.  
4.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  
5.  Stir in parsley.  Cover; simmer 10 minutes longer.  
  

Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days.  Freezes well


1 serving equals 2 cups
1 serving equals 4 pointsplus

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I love checking into this blog and finding new things to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete